My Humanities Story in HUM 331

About the Project

Regarding to the final project in HUM 331, what I like the best about the project is how we can relate the materials in the project to our themes, for our group it's religion. The time that I participated in is 12 hours. It was a lot, but in the end it's worth the time. Here is the project if you want check it out.

Books I Read

Christenson, Allen J, and Canning House Library (Hispanic & Luso Brazilian Councils. Popol Vuh : The Sacred Book of the Maya : The Great Classic of Central American Spirituality. Norman, University Of Oklahoma Press, 2007.
The first book I read in this class is the Popol Vuh: The Sacred Book of the Maya translated and provided by Allen J. Christenson. The book, as its title suggested, is a book that focus on explaining the myth and origin of the Mayan people. It consists of many stories, one of the notable stories is the story of the Hero Twins. That story I do suggest people to learn more about it,  I think it sort of sends something that's unique in cultural perspective about Latin America.

Holmes, Seth M, and Philippe Bourgois. “Front Matter.” Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies, by Seth Holmes, 1st ed., University of California Press, 2013, pp. i–vi, www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525/j.ctt7zw45x.
  • The second book that I read in this class is Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies by Seth M. Holmes. It explores the experience of migrant farmworkers, it also expresses reasons behind their hardships, which related to multiple aspects of society, medical explaination and country policies. I'll be honest, this book this book has made me see problems not in a typical way, but actually multiple, it's very mind opening. This book is definitely worth the time, it really makes you think that Holmes himself have learned a lot in his field research, and this book is him sharing it with you.

My Semester

Thinking back to my first week in this class, I expected to learn more about what the origin of Latin America is all about. Now looking back at our journey, I do think that I have pretty much completed this goal, although it's not every part to the very details, but I'm quite satisfied with what I have learned in the end.  The thing that I'm most interested in this class is how it would teach us about the Colonial Era, which is a pretty important point for not only Latin America, but also the entire world. 

One important thing that I learned in this class is that Latin America is also a important part for the world's history, and there still many things for us to explore and learn because we only started to try to understand it approximately 500 years ago. One thing perhaps I already knew about the class is that the people of the Aztec and Maya did not vanished, they are still here and they live their lives the same as we do, we just need to acknowledge commonly. In the end to conclude everything up, I would like to share a video from Crash Course about nations of Latin America.
War and Nation Building in Latin America: Crash Course World History 225
Youtube - by CrashCourse




Works Cited
CrashCourse. “War and Nation Building in Latin America: Crash Course World History 225.” YouTube, 12 Feb. 2015, www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6xi8_7Fy6Y. Accessed 14 Dec. 2021.

Christenson, Allen J, and Canning House Library (Hispanic & Luso Brazilian Councils. Popol Vuh : The Sacred Book of the Maya : The Great Classic of Central American Spirituality. Norman, University Of Oklahoma Press, 2007.

Holmes, Seth M, and Philippe Bourgois. “Front Matter.” Fresh Fruit, Broken Bodies, by Seth Holmes, 1st ed., University of California Press, 2013, pp. i–vi, www.jstor.org/stable/10.1525//j.ctt7zw45x.

Comments