My Humanities Story in HUM 320

 Books I Have Read

Bresnan, Patrick. Awakening : An Introduction to the History of Eastern Thought. New York, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.
  • Awakening by Patrick Bresnan is important to this class because the amount the information that it contained is huge and valuable, although mostly about religion, I still think this book is very worth to read even outside of the class, especially for people who have little touch with the Eastern cultures and religions, I also learned a perspective I never had on Buddhism with this book.


Hawley, Jack. The Bhagavad Gita : A Walkthrough for Westerners. Novato, Calif., New World Library, 2011.
  • Bhagavad Gita
    is a very influential book, although it tells a story, but in fact it's a teaching more than a story, it teaches a lesson of spirit and devotion in which Hinduism would base upon. One of the memorable knowledge which I learn is that there is not a greater path or a lesser path, because every path will lead you to the ultimate goal. What we see in Arjuna, is rather a representation of us.

My Semester

For the end of the semester we did a project. The thing that I like the most in the project is how we chose to tell the story in a way that we would introduce the some of the wonders within each Eastern culture. The time that I spent on the project is 11 hours which I consider is not long but also not short. Here is our project for the end of the class. Thinking back to my first week in this class, I expected to learn more about the impact of religions and the history of India and Japan. Now looking back at our journey, I do think that I have completed this goal, although it's not every part, but I'm quite satisfied. The thing that I'm most interested in this class is how it would introduce about China, which a culture that I'm already familiar with, turns out a great experience! 

One thing that I learned in this class is how the legacy of ancients shaped our ideal and experiences that we see today, Confucianism is a very good example. One thing that I already know about is the Japanese mythology explained by Kojiki. Since I'm a lover of Japanese culture, I do wish that I can learn more, and I will most likely continue my journey to explore things about Japan even after this class. Here is a video from the channel Abroad in Japan experience a road trip in Hokkaido, Japan. I think this is a good video to sum this class up.




Works Cited
Bresnan, Patrick. Awakening : An Introduction to the History of Eastern Thought. New York, Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2018.

Hawley, Jack. The Bhagavad Gita : A Walkthrough for Westerners. Novato, Calif., New World Library, 2011.

“I Drove to Japan’s Most Extreme North | Hokkaido Road Trip.” Www.youtube.com, www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlRraQXerGg. Accessed 19 May 2021.

Comments